Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Will, I am American.

I am such an American. I’m not sure if I have felt my American roots so much in the past two years since I saw my president speak in the center of Europe. (Of course, then his visit the natives of a time before the Velvet Revolution.)

Yes, I am talking about my current (re-)obsession with the British family. House of Windsor on my DVR, The Tudors and The Young Victoria both recently devoured through my Netflix queue, and just saw The King’s Speech.

As an American, I can’t help but have a fascination for the British Royal Family. I’ve come about long after our innate hatred of their imperial hold on us and the world, so I can fondly look across the pond to respect the historic lineage. Our presidents are great and all, but you can rig elections, and they’re always changing. Isn’t there comfort in knowing the monarch(y) is always there? Of course, like I said, I’m American; therefore, I love my democracy.

And I love knowing your princes’ love lives. I put them over Hollywood happenings.

I can’t help love the complete impracticality of the monarchy. I mean, really, Parliament does most everything, doesn’t it? While I know that there is strong opposition to the institution, I can’t help but insist that the British should embrace what they have and what the world, or just America, admires. What would happen to your church without its leader? I’ve read that my tourist dollars actually more than balance what their taxes provide. While I never fantasized of becoming a princess or dating a real prince (especially after attending an English university devoid of aristocracy), I can’t deny the fantastical desire to stand in the presence of someone with Divine Right.

As an American, I have been part of a culture that has fought against the notion for over two hundred years. And now I watch every period drama I possibly can.

No comments:

Post a Comment