Sunday, July 3, 2011

Surprise! I've moved to Korea!

(South, of course. Neither KJI nor Billy C are in my close circle of friends yet, but we'll see how that goes.)

When?
A fortnight ago: 18 June

But, Sheila, why would you want to go there?
To teach English! It's one of the most practical applications of my degree, and Korea provides some of the best opportunities/compensation for teaching English abroad.

What about North Korea?
If the Koreans aren't worried about it, then I won't be either. However, there are gas masks and emergency kits in all of the subways. I've been told not to be alarmed when I hear the air raid drill sirens. They seem to be prepared.

Do you know Korean?
No. I've not made many strides to learn it yet, but, really, you gotta respect a language that gives its alphabet a national holiday. For now, my phrasebook and fingers are going to have to do.

Is it safe?
Yes! There's so little crime here. In fact, while trying to find data to prove this point, I found that I'm more likely to share a cell with an embezzler or (software) pirate than an axe murderer. Besides, back at home I've seen cars stolen from my backyard, been burgled on a Sunday afternoon by a man in a welding mask, fondled by a bum on North Ave while en route to class, chased a potential hit-and-run on the highway, and been robbed at gun point. And I actually fared better than many of my other friends. I'm sure Korea's just fine.

So ... Seoul, right?
Nope, an hour south in Daejeon. Just like England =/ London, Korea =/ Seoul.

Where will you live?! Do they even have running water?!
My school has put me up in an officetel, or a live-and-work studio apartment. They pay my housing; I pay utilities and maintenance.

But what will you do without a car?!
Left foot, right foot. The subway might be comparable to MARTA in that it doesn't take you everywhere, but since it was built only about four years ago, it takes you to the major attractions. There's only one line so far, and there are plans for four more. Taxis are ridiculously cheap here and sometimes, split among friends, cheaper than the subway.

How will you meet people?
I actually chose the school I did because it's actually quite large. I figured the school would come with built-in friends. I actually do have friends in various other parts of the country, and I met some cool people at my training in Seoul. I've already made a few!

What about your stuff back home?
My sister has my car, Marie has my cello, and PYT has Jimi. The stuff is in a climate-controlled storage unit.

You're going to be out of the country for Independence Day!
I know, and I'm actually really excited about it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment