Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Update!

I'm still alive, well, and teaching!

I have been a terrible procrastinator lately, but I have been a busy bee. I have been traveling on the weekends and even working some of the weekends. I have traveled to the DMZ and even crossed into North Korea (under the care of the US and ROK army). I have also traveled to Seoul many times, waded in the East Sea (aka, Sea of Japan), hiked up a mountain to a Buddhist temple in a cave, cried because I was too scared to go down, visited a famous lantern festival, experienced my first brown/black-out, heard air drill sirens, accidentally hiked down a mountain in heels, and debuted on the Seoul acting stage.

As usual, I have made many friends -- coworkers and even random folk from the street. I have had wonderful experiences with them, traveling, laughing, watching K-drama, sharing Clueless and hangover soup, shooting pool, and commuting on the subway.

I have not been a disciplined Korean learner, but with my new affection for K-pop and K-drama, it is only a matter of time before I know the important words of a teenage girl. Or perhaps constantly translating the tweets of my new favorite actor, Jang Geun Suk, will help. (I have every intention of buying his 2012 calendar for myself and possibly for all of my friends back home.) I digress.

I have eaten too much western food, and I am working on learning how to cook Korean food. I like most kimchi and other banchan (side dishes), but I still haven't seen any Korean tacos like Yumbii here. There are Mexican restaurants here, but close as they are, they are burdened by a lack of real sour cream and cheese.

I miss you, Catlanta, King of Pops, Yeah! Burger, Mexican food, Waffle House, Chik-Fil-A, and Georgia Brown. However, I have a popsicle kit, Kraze Burger, Tesco brand Mexican seasoning, waffles in every chain coffee shop, Popeye's, and Hite D.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Shelia! Are you still in South Korea? I am arriving Tuesday. I will be joining the ranks of the fourth floor at your beloved Dragonland. I am not a stalker, but rather an avid Googler, which is how I found your blog. I am from Ringgold, GA, and have an English degree from West Georgia. If you are still in the country, I would be happy to bring you some TP. I don't think I could get any Chik-fil-A through customs :)

    ReplyDelete